The student news site of St. Joseph High School

THE WIND-UP

New students inducted in NHS ceremony

Susie Paine, Staff Writer

A group of 61 students was admitted to the E.P. Clarke Chapter of the National Honors Society on Tuesday, May 9 in the St. Joseph High School Auditorium. The National Honors Society is the volunteer organization in charge of academic tutoring at the high school and middle school.  To be admitted to NHS, students must submit a written application containing their grades, leadership roles, community service opportunities, and their reasons for applying. After that, Ms. Nita Nicholie, SJHS teacher and NHS advisor, says, “Teachers will rate all of the students who apply to NHS based on their classroom leadership and character.” Then the leadership and character scores are combined with service hours and GPA to form a numerical score. The students with scores above the cutoff are admitted. “What if we’ve got some kids that teachers really feel like should be NHS members and aren’t above the cutoff? There is a teacher committee that has a discussion. And [that’s where] we deal with things that are not as statistical,” said Ms. Nic.

In addition to the incoming students, the induction ceremony recognized the officers for next year. Juniors Max Beltz, Rajas Gupta, Susie Paine, Haley Rich, Laina Young, and president Gabby Hardy were voted to the officer positions by fellow NHS members. “NHS officers take on small leadership roles like spearheading and organizing middle and elementary school tutoring… But the biggest role that our officers have is sitting on a board for considering disciplinary issues as relates to our membership,” said Ms. Nic.

The most important role for NHS officers, and members in general, is tutoring. As 2017-18 President Gabby Hardy says, “NHS isn’t just tutoring. Yes, it’s what we do, but really it’s about sharing the love of learning with other students. I just want students to know that even though they struggle understanding some things, they can still be successful. NHS has given me and the other tutors the ability to reach out to our peers and help them see their potential.”