The student news site of St. Joseph High School

THE WIND-UP

Robotics team finishes their season

Sara Wolf, Business Manager

As the school year is wrapping up so is the annual robotics competitions. The robotics team not only had a great time but did well in the tournament.

“The entire competition has been an amazing way to bond with the community,” said sophomore Katie Eberhardt. “Not only do you get to meet some amazing people with the same interests as you, but you also get experiences that you wouldn’t otherwise. It’s truly a unique and fun experience for all of those who join.”

This year the robots were built for three main tasks: retrieving gears, shooting wiffle balls, and dropping ropes. Every match was two and a half minutes long. The first fifteen seconds were autonomous, with the robots moving by pre-programmed code, and the last two minutes and fifteen seconds being controlled by students.

This year the Average Joes placed first and received the Industrial Design award in the St. Joseph district event, which lasted from March 9th to March 11th. They also placed first and received the Excellence in Engineering award in the West Michigan district event which lasted from March 23rd to March 25th. The team went on to compete in the Midwest regional event (March 29 to April 1) where they placed 14th and won the Gracious Professionalism award. Then, they went to the Michigan State Championships (April 12th to April 15th) where they placed 12th and received the Excellence in Engineering award. Finally, they they traveled to St. Louis to compete in the World Championships (April 26th to April 29th), placed 37th, and were taken out in the Semi-Finals by the world champs.

“Overall, [robotics] has been really great,” said senior Ved Ameresh. “I’ve met so many new people across the world, made many new friends and been introduced to so many new things.”

Many of the students had good things to say about the competition and their experience with the club.

“It’s an awesome experience,” said sophomore Luis Hernandez. “Just watching how this community becomes larger and larger through time, makes me feel fascinated with the amount of support coming from all of the high school students.”

The seniors are especially thankful for their experience with the robotics teams and are looking forward to see what future teams have in store.

“Looking back on the season as a senior, the team has accomplished incredible feats,” said senior Mitchell Oleson. “Over my four years of robotics I have helped build four world level competition robots, make connections with other high school teams around the world, and I have even had the chance to help the next generation of Average Joes by monitoring the Brown elementary LEGO robotics team. This was the first season we have gone to a regional event, and in turn we made it to the semi finals. I can’t wait to see the next year’s senior do to top it.”