The student news site of St. Joseph High School

THE WIND-UP

Spring Sports Update

Nadia Judge

Girls Tennis Team

The girl’s varsity tennis team had a successful season with a record of 10-2-2.  They placed highest at the Mason Invite and were conference and regional champions for the first time since 2009. Sophomore Ashley Ke was the highest singles scorer on the team, and was titled WSJM’s Student Athlete of the Week.  She was the single’s regional and conference champion.  “The highlights of my tennis career have definitely been on the high school team.  We push each other to be better, and it has really paid off this season,” Ashley said.  Seniors Sahana Reddy, Heather Roney, Claire Dine, and Julia Service, along with the team, traveled to the State Championship on June 2 and finished 11th in their division.  

Track and Field

The boys and girls track teams, made up of primarily underclassmen, both improved this season.  Both teams scored 5th in the West division.  At the SMAC conference meet, the women scored 8th and the men scored 10th. Juniors Laina Young, Anna Fischer, and Jaylen Kyles represented SJHS at the state meet on June 4th.  Laina finished 7th and set a school record on the pole vault at 10’9”. Anna finished 17th in the mile and 20th in the 2-mile.

Boys Golf

The boys golf team had a successful season. On May 8th, they scored 2nd at the Harper Creek Invite with 338 points. They placed 3rd at the the West Final and 6th at the conference championship.  The seniors were Logan Heckathorn, Andrew Menke, Nathan Griesbaum, Garret VonBehren and Jake Sanderson. Logan, who was an all-conference title, will represent the team at state on June 9th at Grand Valley State University. 

SJHS’s spring sport athletes have worked hard and finished strong this season.  The baseball, softball, and soccer teams ended their seasons at districts. “Tennis went beyond their full potential winning conference and regionals and we are so proud that they’re representing us as a school,” said Mr. Kevin Guzzo, SJHS’s athletic director.  “Golf and Track and field have really improved this season and I am excited to see what they can accomplish next year when more of them will be upperclassmen,” added Mr. Guzzo.  With revitalization and summer training, these student athletes look forward to next year’s spring sport experiences.