THE WIND-UP

Fall sports student athletes

Ken Schau
Girl's golf senior, Katie Schmidt, drives her club during a match.

Madelina Machado, Sports Editor

As the Fall Sports season comes to an end, there are specific student-athletes who stood out to their coaches. These student-athletes best exemplified their sports program on and off the field.  

Trevor Dilley, Senior at Saint Joseph High School, wrapped up his final football season this fall. After spending all four years of his high school career on varsity, Dilley admitted his favorite part of playing was the family aspect. This season Dilley won second team all conference.

“[I feel] Kind of sad [that the season is over], but I also feel ready to move on. It was really relieving to have this last season with all of my friends together and having a good time,” Dilley stated.

Playing since he was 10 years old, Dilley has gotten to experience many things through football. Along with playing at the University of Michigan’s stadium, “The Big House”, Dilley said his favorite memory of his high school career was winning the SMAC West and District Championship his sophomore year.

“I’m not sure where I’m going to go [for college], but I’m looking at playing Division I or Division II football,” Dilley said.

Another student-athlete who best illustrates their team is Devan Handy.

A senior this year at Saint Joseph High School, Handy has been playing soccer for 12 years. Playing for the SJHS boys soccer team, he has been on varsity all four years.

“I think for most people that play soccer, you don’t feel stressed and your worries go away. So, it’s kind of like an outlet,” Handy said. He was awarded 1st team All- Conference.  

As his Handy’s final varsity game came to an end, he reflected on it and said: “Well, it was against Lakeshore [High School] and we lost in the last minute of the game. It hit pretty hard because I realized it would be the last time I played with everybody and played for St. Joe. It t was a good four years, but it really did hit at the last moment.”

Handy stated he was thankful for the opportunity to play for SJHS because not only was he playing with his friends, he also got to play in front of his family.

“I play travel [soccer] in Kalamazoo right now and during that time I am going to be using it to try to be acquired to play somewhere else. But as of right now, I don’t have anything definite,” Handy said in regard to his plans on furthering his soccer career.

Nominated as best representative of the girls swim team, Kaelyn Yeager, has been a member of the team for two years.

Yeager, a senior, had to say goodbye to her final high school season.

“It’s kind of sad because I’m not going to swim with the girls [from the high school team] anymore. But I will be doing SJA which is a travel team, and some of the girls from the high school team are swimming [with that program] too,” Yeager said.

Yeager stated she has no intentions of continuing her swimming career through college, but she will always find a pool where ever she is.

Apart of the girl’s varsity golf team for three years, senior, Katie Schmidt also retired her high school career.

“I’m actually really sad. I don’t know what to do with all of my free time now. But I’m really happy I got the opportunity  to play for the three years and I’m going to miss it a lot. But,  hopefully I will still play later in life,” Schmidt said.

Schmidt has played golf for seven years, and says that her favorite part about playing was being able to meet new people and make new friends. This past season Schmidt won West Division 1st team and was Academic All-State.

Golf has taught Schmidt many things in life she says. One of those things was integrity.

“One time no one caught that I had an extra stroke, but I told everyone the truth. It was an integrity thing and I will always remember that because it really taught me a lot about my character,” Schmidt stated.

Schmidt has no further plans to continue her golf career, other than playing on the course in her free time.

Sydney Brinney, junior, member of the varsity volleyball team, best exemplifies the program.

When Brinney was asked how she felt every time she stepped onto the court, she simply responded, “Confident.” Brinney won West Division 1st team, this past season.

Brinney has been playing volleyball since she was eight years old, and has participated on three differnt travel teams: Dead Frog, Southwest, Dunes.

Brinney says that her favorite part of playing for SJHS is being able to get to know each of her teammates throughout the season.

“I’m going to miss the seniors the most, and how goofy they were,” Brinney said.

Brinney isn’t the only athlete that will miss their team. Will Lage, a senior member of the coed cross country team, will too.

Lage has been a member of the varsity cross country team for four years. This past season Lage won All League Team.

Also having been running since middle school, Lage said his best memory of cross country was cross country camp.

“It’s not really running [that is my favorite part], it’s being with the team. We are all are very close and very supportive of each other. And also, the atmosphere at the cross meets. It’s very different from other sports. With other sports it’s about winning In cross it’s about pushing yourself,” Lage said.

All of the athletes mentioned above have showed their gratitude for the opportunity to play for Saint Joseph High School. Although not all of them will be continuing their athletic careers, they will always appreciate the athletic opportunities Saint Joseph High School offered.