THE WIND-UP

The bridge between SJHS and SJ Foundation

The SJHS Student Foundation posing after a meeting

Kathy Urrea

Zach Kreiner, Staff Writer

In 2013, the St. Joseph Public School Foundation decided they needed a bridge between their board members and the students of St. Joseph Public Schools. They wanted to be able to connect with students on a personal level and take their ideas into consideration. In order to do this, the St. Joseph Public Schools Foundation created St. Joseph Student Foundation.

Comprised of 22 high school students, from grades 9-12—all appointed by teachers—the student foundation works with SJPSF board members to take students ideas and put them into action.

“By using the Foundation’s [ St. Joseph Public Schools Foundation] funding, we can make students ideas happen,” Gabby Hardy, 12, president of Student Foundation said.  

Since the creation of student foundation, SJHS has been able benefit in  multiple different ways, from new clubs to microwaves in the lunch rooms. Even AP Computer Science Principles, a class that many students take a SJHS, was pushed to become a class by the SJSF.

“Seeing other schools in around us have computer science classes, and as we become in a more technological age, it’s something we really needed. So we [SJSF] decided St. Joseph High School should also have a computer science class,” Gabby said.

The student foundation has also helped Noah Hayden, 11, and Bri Walsh, 11, to create the Baking Club during the 2016-17 school year. By helping to promote the club’s kick off event, Cupcake Wars, and also helping  to fund their events and programs, SJSF was able to get Baking Club out to the students of St. Joe.

Each year the Student Foundation also supports teacher appreciation. They have students write handwritten notes and give gifts to teachers to show how much they mean to the student body. Also, the SJSF leads Student Ambassadors, a project which entails welcoming  new students to the school by having an ice cream social before their first days and  showing them around to make them more comfortable.

Other than just helping students, SJSF also help the main foundation. Each year, the student foundation assists with an administration luncheon, showing people to their seats and welcoming them at the door. They also help at an alumni recognition event by passing out pamphlets and volunteering their time. Every other year, members also assist in The Encore — the alumni talent show. Members sell tickets and assist people to their seats.

The student foundation wants to hear student voices and ideas. If you have ideas for clubs or other things around the school, you can contact them by taking to a board member or following them on twitter @SJHSSF. The student foundation is here to help and support the students and staff at SJHS.

1 Comment

One Response to “The bridge between SJHS and SJ Foundation”

1. jmoo on April 15th, 2018 12:59 pm

Hey guys I appreciate your design style and stuff; Windup always looks nice. I happened to be on the website and Nick is sitting next to me so I decided to write a comment. Keep up the good work.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• The bridge between SJHS and SJ Foundation

Feature

Arrested Development: revived a second time by Netflix

Feature

SJHS creates an all new hall of fame

Feature

Health indesparities continue to wreak havoc in Benton Harbor

Feature

May bears of the month

Feature

April bears of the month

Feature

March bears of the month

Feature

February bears of the month

Feature

A firefighters life

Feature

Brown Elementary School 40 Book Challenge

Feature

January bears of the month

The student news site of St. Joseph High School