THE WIND-UP

Why vegetarianism is better than it sounds

Stir+fry+dish+with+a+variety+of+vegetables+and+ingredients.+
Stir fry dish with a variety of vegetables and ingredients.

noticiaaldia.com

noticiaaldia.com

Luke Adent, Staff Writer

Vegetarianism is an ever growing style of eating that has existed for many years. The word vegetarian was coined in 1847 by the founders of the Vegetarian society in Great Britain. According to Vegetarianism, an article written by Douglas Dupler, Rebecca J. Frey, and Helen Davidson, that was published in Farmington Hills, Michigan, vegetarianism is the “voluntary abstinence from eating meat.”

Usually, there are three main reasons someone decides to become a vegetarian. The first reason being the killing of livestock and the cruel way it is raised. Second, the health benefits to the human body. Finally, it’s more environmentally friendly to eat a plant based diet. It is my opinion that a vegetarian diet is better than one of meat for all three of these reasons. People should cut meat from their diet and join the vegetarian union.

“Today, large factory farms raise animals for food. The owners of these factories are not interested in the welfare of these creatures, but in how much money they can make from them in the shortest amount time,”  Elizabeth Ferber said in her book The Vegetarian Life.

Cows are pumped full of growth hormones and antibiotics to gain more weight and subsequently produce more meat. Then they are jammed into dirty and horrible smelling feedlots before they are taken off to be slaughtered.

“I find raising animals to be killed for a human food source is gross and sad. I think every living animal should have at least a half way deacent life. When you look at factory farms and smaller family farms the animals all end up in the slauder house and that’s cruel,” Eileen Spiegel, 10, who is a vegetarian, said.   

It’s unbelievable that the money made from killing livestock is worth more than the actual life of the animal. Livestock is born into a trap and never has a chance to live a free life.

Even though there is a much more beneficial eating style, humans decide it’s best to take an innocent animal’s life for a food source.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has data supporting that vegetarians have a high chance of not obtaining obesity, heart disease, lung cancer, colon cancer, alcoholism, hypertension, diabetes, gallstones, gout, kidney stones, and ulcers. Most vegetarians lead a healthier lifestyle. This means other factors besides just abstinence of meat eating could provide to some of their escalated health benefits.

“I have been a vegetarian my whole life. I feel that it has overall made me healthier, escpeially considering all the recent studies showing that red meat is linked to so many medical issues in later life,” Sky Stockten, 10, said.

Nothing is better than being able to reduce the risk on many different types of diseases and sicknesses. People need to realize the long term effect eating meat has on them which could prevent many diseases.

I believe the least known fact, yet most important, is the major impact a vegetarian diet has on the earth. According to The Vegetarian Life by Elizabeth Ferber, deforestation, soil erosion, and water waste are all increased because of the growing demand for meat.

Amazingly, over half of the water consumed by the United States is used in growing animal feed. 2,500 gallons of water is needed to produce one pound of meat and 4,000 gallons of water is needed to produce a days worth of food for a meat eater. On the other hand it takes only 300 gallons of water to produce a days worth of food for a vegetarian.

“Many people are unaware that there is a water crisis in several parts of the world. To waste so much of this precious resource raising animals we do not need to be eating is truly short sighted, not to mention selfish,” Ferber said.

There are places where people do not get enough food to eat each day. Instead of wasting land to grow feed for livestock, we need to use the land to grow food for people. Livestock in the United states eats enough feed (soybeans and grains) to feed five times our country’s population.

Central and South American forests (that provide many valuable resources) are being cut down to make grazing land for cattle. Once the land is clear the cattle eat the new vegetation loosening the top, nutrient rich, soil layer allowing easy erosion.

“I eat meat since I really love the taste of it. Sometimes I use protein from meat as a quick boost of protien needed during sports season,” Sean Green, 11, said.

Besides the drawbacks there are some benefits like the taste, quick and easy protien, and many vitamins and minerals such as B-vitamins and iron.   

It only takes cutting meat from a diet to decrease ones chances of obtaining a diesease, to protect the environment from further damage, and to protect inocent animals from being placed in deaethtraps only to be killed and served to humans. Make a change and reap the benefits.