THE WIND-UP

Koyaanisqatsi: A night to remember

Cameron Haynes, Staff Writer

Looking for the perfect film to watch with that special someone? Disregard Michael Bay, and leave Spielberg at the door. Koyaanisqatsi, with its Hopi prophecies of doom and panoramas of a desert devoid of life, has got your back.

A cult classic, Koyaanisqatsi is a stunning drama featuring picturesque views of nature, a soothing soundtrack, and, most importantly, no dialogue, leaving couples free to interject their own reflections upon the deep themes touched on by the film.

Is your daily screen time detracting from your relationship? Are you feeling fed up with the stressful pace of modern life? If so, commiserate with hundreds of individuals getting swept up in city hustle and bustle in long time-lapses of subway stations comparing people to ants. Or, if you’re on a smartphone challenge, take a moment to pause and appreciate the movie’s anti-technology vibe and breath in the imagined fresh air coming from scenic shots of the great outdoors.

If you and your significant other fancy yourselves detectives and enjoy a rollercoaster-like plot to keep you on the edge of your seat, Koyaanisqatsi also offers a plot like no other. “It has several plot shifts, a surprise ending… soothing music,” Mr. Ryan Walters, SJHS social studies teacher, said. The struggle to decipher the director’s true message is a puzzle that never ends.

But if you aren’t yet convinced to view this cinematic masterpiece, the film should be viewed just for the soundtrack. Ranging from low-pitched gregorian chants to beautiful choir cantatas, the music and singing that punctuate the movie are sublime. “The chanting will definitely change your life,” Mr. Walters said. Despite the amazing nature of the soundtrack, there is one scene that, in terms of romantic quality, outstrips them all. The Grand Canyon, displayed in all of its majesty, is simply indescribable and causes great feelings of thankfulness for one’s partner to well up in any teen’s soul. “Doesn’t get more romantic that that.”