THE WIND-UP

SJHS creates an all new hall of fame

SJHS administration announces the first ever academic Hall of Famers at graduation.

Dylan Marzke

Dylan Marzke

Luke Adent, Staff Writer

New to SJHS this year is the Academic Hall of Fame. After years of not recognizing the top academic graduating students, the staff decided it was time for these students to be recognized each year.

Principal Greg Blomgren explains that the community, board of education, and the administration all wanted to recognize the highest achieving students at Saint Joseph High School and draw attention to what the school stands for academically. Although there has always been honor graduates and senior academic letter awards, there was never a true recognition of the highest academic students.

“A committee was formed and we met several times and looked at different types of ideas of what an Academic Hall of Fame could look like. We contacted colleges and universities and looked into what being in the Hall of Fame meant for students leaving SJHS in the college application process,” SJHS Principal Greg Blomgren said.  

After discussion, the criteria to get into the Hall of Fame is the top ten senior’s with the highest accumulative weighted GPA over all four years in high school. This evens the playing field between regular, honors, and AP classes. Also between kids that take online classes or at different schools viruses at SJHS.

The new Academic Hall of Famers is Gabrielle Hardy, Hannah Moore, Lyndsay White, Rajas Gupta, Ryan Erickson, Heather Leany, William Kurtz, Anna Fischer, Alaina Young, and Charvi Chhatwal. Next year these students’ pictures and bios will scroll on two monitors in the front of the school. When next years Academic Hall of Famers are identified their pictures and bios will scroll and the previous years names will turn into a list on the side.

“The digital display allows us to continuously update and edit on an annual basis. We had seen a digital display in another building and felt like it gave us a lot of opportunity to be creative and do different things with it,” Mr. Blomgren said.

The new Hall of Famers are appreciative of the new way the school is recognizing their hard work over the past four years.

“The new Academic Hall of Fame is a great way to recognize high achieving students who have previously gone unrecognized. It requires time and effort to take AP and honors classes, but even more so to succeed in these, which for myself, required a majority of my time. It’s nice to see my hard work pay off, but now there is more than just a personal acknowledgment of being in the top ten, and it’s a great change for the school,” graduated senior William Kurtz said.

“I think it’s important to recognize students who’ve challenged themselves. The Academic Hall of Fame is a great way to honor those who’ve been able to succeed at a high academic level,” graduated senior Gabrielle Hardy said.

The Hall of Fame congratulates the high achieving graduated seniors and awaits the next top ten.

Copy and paste the link below to see a feature on these students!

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1Vp2yhSHBc1IqU-fyIHB5CokMMMeG0f6zx5mhGM4dDBs/edit?ts=5b154b15#slide=id.g3b8c892ce5_0_28