THE WIND-UP

Thirteen Reasons Why Season 2 is worth your time

This+picture+shows+the+a+poster+inside+St.+Joseph+High+School+bathrooms%2C+that+gives+kids+options+in+a+situation+in+which+they+need+help.+Such+as+suicide+or+other+issues.+This+is+one+of+the+things+St.+Joseph+High+is+doing+to+bring+awareness+to+the+issue.+
This picture shows the a poster inside St. Joseph High School bathrooms, that gives kids options in a situation in which they need help. Such as suicide or other issues. This is one of the things St. Joseph High is doing to bring awareness to the issue.

Zach Zreiner

Zach Zreiner

Zach Kreiner, Staff Writer

Rape. Suicide. Drugs. Fighting. Gun violence. These are issues that high schoolers, like myself, hear and see everyday. We often don’t  give it the slightest of thought and keep it to ourselves. Thirteen Reasons Why is the one of the first shows to make an effort to bring attention to these increasing issues in schools across America. After a mostly successful first season, with some backlash,  Thirteen Reasons Why released their second season. Season two continues the story after  Hannah Baker’s life. The Bakers are suing the school for not stopping her daughter’s death. Through witness testimonies, we hear the perspective of many of Hannah’s friends. Along with the court case, other secrets and issues emerge creating drama and violence throughout the season.

Season two shows the use of drugs, sex, violence, and assault throughout the high school by its students, comparing it to real high schools. However, in some parts drug usage, sex and fighting are blown out of perspective in the season compared to actually high school experience. Some parents are pointing out and arguing the graphic scene and the issues the show is presenting to their children. I would disagree: often hard to except, these issues — sexual assault, violence, and drugs — are issues high schoolers are faced with every day, but we ignore them with hopes that they will just “go away.” By turning a cold cheek to these extremely real problems, they’ll only continue.

Topics such as suicide, rape, and drugs should be openly discussed among students, administrators, parents, and fellow people because these are not issues that we can just pretend don’t happen. Students and adults face issues like these every day; instead of asking how can we shield our children from these events, we should be asking how can we bring awareness to them. Thirteen Reasons Why is one of the first shows that is openly trying to discuss and show people that these things do happen and it isn’t okay. It gives us a slight insight on how hard it is to deal with these types of issues and how people there to support people in these situations and they aren’t alone.

Thirteen Reasons Why contains lots of graphics and explicit language, among other things such as the content of the story. There is no denying that. Some people also believe that the show portrays rape and suicide in a wrong and glorified way.

“I think it [Thirteen Reasons Why] romanticizes social issues such as suicide, rape, and depression. The author needed to be drawing out the social issues, rather than using suicide to blame others for their issues and mistake,” Grace Koch, 10, said.  

Even though some people believe these social issues are portrayed in a wrongful way, I believe, these things happen every day at high schools across America, and by shielding children from the reality we are only leading them to do the same.

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it,” George Santayana, an American philosopher, once said. By covering the eyes of today’s teenagers from these social issues, we will continue to do them.

I think Thirteen Reasons Why is a series every person should watch, a show we should watch closely because things like rape, drugs, fight are happening all over high schools in America. These issues need to be talked about and discussed – they can’t be hidden.