THE WIND-UP

You need to watch the show “Dear White People”

“ So, Sam, how would you feel if someone started a

“ So, Sam, how would you feel if someone started a "Dear Black People"? No need. Mass media from Fox News to reality TV on VH1 makes it clear what white people think of us.” Sam White, in Dear White People.

Sophie Newland

Sophie Newland

Sophie Newland, Staff Writer

“Dear White People, here’s a little tip, when you ask someone who looks ethnically different, ‘what are you?’ the answer is usually a person about to slap the sh*t out of you.” This iconic quote is one of the many explicit quotes that main character, Sam White, from the Netflix original show Dear White People (2017) says throughout the series and it got a lot of controversial feedback. If you’ve never seen this show, though it is for mature audiences and has explicit content and references to sex, it follows the lives of poc (people of color) college students discussing much more important perspectives. Starting the first episode at a blackface party on a private ivy-league college campus, this show goes further into pushing some sensitive boundaries that many white people are uncomfortable to talk about, but they’re important to hear about the raw and racist side to the nation we live in.

An article on Huffington Post called “Why it’s so hard to talk to White people about Racism” written by The Good Men Project say that the mainstream definition of racism is, “Individual racial prejudice and the intentional actions that result.” However, the social scientist definition of racism is, “ A multidimensional and highly adaptive system — a system that ensures an unequal distribution of resources between racial groups.” This means when most people think about racism they think about the blatant discrimination against someone in an evil manner because of their race, rather than the unobvious ways it ties into our white lives every day. This is also known as an unequal institutionalized racial power-advantage or the likelihood of white people attending schools or learning about subjects that reinforce their perceptions of cultural dominance. But why and how does this tie into a popular Netflix Original TV show? Dear White People talks about the dark underside of the term racism and what it means to be racist in our country –or rather on a college campus–and give outlooks on the things that white people don’t see or want to understand.

“This show makes anyone who watches second guess what you do and say and how it can affect others that aren’t of your same race,” poc watcher, Jenyse Mcginnis, 10, said. She feels like it is important for everyone to watch and educate themselves to racial injustice issues through this show. She also feels like the show amplifies the black/poc negativity of the campus shared by white people, but that that provides more examples of real-life situations to learn from.  “The show [is] over exaggerated because they want to highlight how people of color are really treated,” Jenyse said.

The show Dear White People isn’t a negative show, and though the topics they talk about are sad and dark – they’re the reality. Watching this show is important so you can learn from, share, spread, and inform people on the racist actualities that are happening.