THE WIND-UP

Arrested Development: revived a second time by Netflix

This image refers to the Bluth banana stand; and George Sr. always saying “there’s always money in the banana stand”. George Sr. only says this because there was $250,000 lining the walls of the banana stand.

Aiden Allers

Aiden Allers, Staff Writer

Running for three original seasons, Arrested Development was rebooted for a fourth season in 2013 by Netflix. Now, 2018 heralds a new, fifth season.

Season five of Arrested Development was released for streaming on Netflix on May 29. Along with this, the cast of the original series will appear.

Season four suffered from a confusing, out-of-order plot to bring all the characters back together. At the beginning of May, Netflix attempted to fix the problems of season four with a “season four remix.”

“I do think season 5 will be better,” Anthony Miceli (11), a big fan of the show, said. Anthony watched the original series, airing from 2003-2006 and really enjoys the show.

The plot of Arrested Development follows the Bluth family, a once-wealthy home construction company, in their struggle to get back on their feet. The cast features of a variety of characters: Michael Bluth (Jason Bateman), the protagonist trying to keep his family afloat; George Michael Bluth (Michael Cera), the awkward son of Michael Bluth; George Oscar Bluth, or G.O.B (Will Arnett), Michael Bluth’s older brother who wants to be a magician; Lindsey Fünke (Portia de Rossi), the adopted sister of the G.O.B and Michael Bluth; Tobias Fünke (David Cross), Lindsey’s Husband who is innocent and doesnt know he uses innuendos; Maeby Fünke (Alia Shawkat), The daughter of Tobias and Lindsey; Byron “Buster” Bluth, The youngest Bluth Brother who is attached to his mother; Lucille Bluth (Jessica Walter), the mother to the Bluth brothers and Lindsey’s adopted mother; and George Bluth Sr. (Jeffrey Tambor), the father and the founder of the Bluth Company.

Arrested Development follows these characters as they make mistakes and go through life, all leading to a hilarious payoff at the end. With many long-running gags, every part of the show connects with the others.

One running gag is the family stair car. A massive truck with stairs is one of the only vehicles that has been used in the show. Typically, it hits things and prevents others from entering parking garages.

The plot tied in with the rest of the show when Buster went swimming in the ocean because his mother, Luciel, told him not to. He felt rebellious. While he was swimming, someone on shore yelled, “Loose Seal,” and Buster heard “Luciel.”

Buster thought the man said his mother saw him swimming, but then a loose seal bit his hand off. G.O.B had tried to use this seal for a magic trick but accidentally dumped it in the ocean.

The seal had a yellow bowtie, so after that experience, Buster was terrified of yellow bow ties.

Arrested Development is best enjoyed when watched entirely. One joke from season one could end up later on season three.

A lot of the humor is very adult, but it also allows immature, hilarious jokes from the Bluth family.

Season five was released on May 29 and has eight episodes now and eight more to come. It is available for streaming on Netflix, and new viewers should watch the show from the beginning.