THE WIND-UP

Best and Worst of the Emmys

Phil McCarten

Phil McCarten

Amy Paine, Staff Writer

The 2018 Emmys were, as always, a night of glamor, acclaim, and controversy. Here’s everything you need to know about September 17.

Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel, a show about a 1950s housewife following her passion for stand-up comedy, proved to be one of the biggest hits of the evening. The series took home 5 awards, including best comedy series and best lead actress in a comedy for Rachel Brosnahan.

Best drama, unsurprisingly, went to HBO’s Game of Thrones. Best lead actor and actress in a drama went to Matthew Rhys of The Americans and Claire Foy of The Crown, respectively.

Highlights of the night included director Glenn Weiss proposing to his girlfriend on stage after winning a directorial award for a variety special (she said yes). Also, a strange guest appeared in the crowd towards the beginning of the show: Donald Glover’s Atlanta character, Teddy Perkins. Who was actually inside the costume, however, remains a mystery, as Glover himself was also in attendance.

Of course, the Emmys did not go by without any controversy. There were the usual minor political statements, including black-ish actress Jenifer Lewis wearing bedazzled Nike gear in support of Colin Kaepernick and Michael Che handing out “reparation Emmys” to actors of color who had been previously passed over for awards. Some critics, including Mike Hale of the New York Times, argue that the Emmys pointed out television’s lack of diversity but failed to remedy it. Despite all the talk of racial diversity onstage, 22 out of 26 Emmys were received by white actors, writers, producers, and directors. In addition, the presenters carefully avoided mentioning the #MeToo movement that has swept Hollywood, and Leslie Moonves, former CBS president, was not brought up.

Despite the night’s highs and lows, many wonder if the Emmys remain relevant or if they should be relegated to a thing of the past. Larkin Anderson, junior, didn’t watch this year’s broadcast, stating: “I don’t really care for the Emmys. Honestly, I don’t watch many of the shows that are winning awards. Plus, many shows these days aren’t very good.” Amy Nobouphasavanh, junior, felt the same, saying that “I don’t watch the Emmys because I’m not interested in it. It seems boring to me.”