THE WIND-UP

The Wind-Up continues to invite student student expression

Back to Article
Back to Article

Lea Douglas and Aeryn Hart

Inspired by The Herald-Palladium’s 150-year celebration, The Wind-Up staff decided to research their own history.

For over 80 years, the St. Joseph High School newsmagazine, The Wind-Up, has been the voice and expression of the student body, extending its influence all the way back at least to 1936. Then it was called The Weekly Windup, consisting of eight typed pages. Now, the magazine prints 36+ pages monthly, for seven issues a school year. The staff also edits and prints a literary magazine in May, a culmination of student art and writing. To celebrate the longevity of this student-run platform, we searched through countless boxes, filing cabinets, and manila folders to bring you, our readers, a brief history of The Wind-Up.

The adviser with the longest reign was Mr. Dan Holt, adviser and teacher from 1973 to 2005.

“A lot of people don’t think children should be able to express their opinions like this, so we fought back, and we said that we were going to do it,” Holt said about some controversy surrounding The Wind-Up in the 80’s. “We had some serious opinion pieces that got us in trouble,” Mr. Holt said.

The Wind-Up editors had written a Pro-Con piece on whether or not the school choir could sing religious music at their concerts, and the choir teacher was so upset with the article topic she refused to walk the caroling students down the Wind-Up’s hallway around Christmas time. “That caused quite a stir, as I recall,” Mr. Holt said.

Hired in ‘73, Mr. Holt was asked to bring the Wind-Up back from a hiatus; the paper had been shut down a few years earlier, in the late 60’s. Holt explained that the main message during his time was that the Wind-Up represented a safe place for students to express their opinions and their ideas.

Mrs. Pen Campbell was the adviser of The Wind-Up from 2005-2015.

“The main message of The Wind-Up was that it was the voice of the students,” Mrs. Campbell said. Holt’s 3-decade reign established a backbone for the Wind-Up, and Campbell continued the mission, encouraging staff writers to pursue their dreams of writing and expressing their opinions. In her 10 years of advising, Mrs. Campbell left quite an impression on her students, according to her past Editor-in-Chief Claire Knebl.

“I remember going to this conference in New York and I wanted to bring a writing portfolio,” Miss Knebl said. “She [Campbell] was helping me put it all together and print all these copies, and that ended up being the moment I initially connected with Teen Vogue.”

The former Wind-Up Editor-in-Chief, St. Joseph High School alumna and NYU graduate went on to thank Mrs. Campbell for her expertise and generosity in helping one of her students pursue a professional writing and editing career.

While the technology has changed–from typewriters to computers, from hand design to InDesign–why the students want to write has not. The Wind-Up continues to be a beacon of free speech for students from our small corner of the world.

“As long as the system grants the autonomy and freedom necessary for real journalism to flourish, I think students’ voices will always find an audience—and not just among their fellow students, but in the school and local community as well,” Mrs. Campbell said.