THE WIND-UP

New to SJHS: Nursing CTE

Lea Douglas, Staff Writer

After multiple years at Coloma High School, the Career and Technical Education (CTE) Nursing program has finally arrived at St. Joseph High School. The Intro to Nursing and Healthcare CTE class has been around for more than five years; however, it is making its long-awaited appearance at SJHS. The program was set to start [at SJHS] some years prior, but due to  some setbacks, there were delays.

“Some students have transportation as a barrier so we thought, ‘why not open up our own program?’”  Mr. James Berry, CTE Director and Assistant Principal, said. He then went on to say, “With the help of the St. Joseph Public Schools Foundation, we received a grant and what we did was turn two classrooms in the field house into a traditional lecture room and the other into a lab.”

In this Intro to Nursing class, students learn standard nursing skills and procedures such as drawing blood and taking blood pressure on mock people. This first-year class is currently taught by Mrs. Savanah DeVries, a board-certified oncologist. Mrs. DeVries has been nursing for 12 years. The course is currently being taught during second and third hour.

“This particular class is an exploration to health care careers, ” Mrs. DeVries said. This class essentially gives students a glimpse of nursing before college so they can decide if nursing is a career that they’d like to pursue in the future. Not only do students learn and study basic material, but they also operate on mock patients. Course Topics include learning to properly wash hands, knowing infections, and how to take vital signs.

In the upcoming years, the school hopes to evolve the nursing program into something bigger. “We want to have a two-year program and add certifications to it. We want to be able to have students get a medical assisting certification,” Mr. Berry said.  The nursing program has had much success during its short time at the high school and has a bright future ahead, with the gaining momentum.