THE WIND-UP

March Madness: Sweet Sixteen

Alex Jewell, Staff Writer

The Sweet 16 sure was sweet. Here is a recap of the top games: Michigan’s tournament hopes were ended on Thursday as Texas Tech (3 seed) outplayed them in the second half. This was the most boring first half I’ve seen in all my years of watching College Basketball. At the end of the first half, both teams were shooting under 30%. Michigan fans were also haunted by the Sweet 16, as their bitter rivals Michigan State advanced with a dominant win over LSU (3 seed). On a night where it seemed the stars of Michigan State we struggling, the unexpected help from Freshman, Gabe Brown, and Aaron Henry pushed the Spartans to victory. Both player combined for 35 points and 11 rebounds.

For the first time this tournament a 1 seed is going home. North Carolina (1 seed) was run out of the building by Auburn (5 seed) who exploded in the 2nd half. Auburn’s Forward, Chuma Okeke, lead in scoring with 20 points 11 rebounds and 2 assists. Another 1 seed was almost sent home as Duke escaped elimination again by a missed layup.  Ahmed Hill of Virginia Tech in the final seconds got an inbound pass with 1.1 seconds to go and tried to put it in to tie, but was short and the clock hit 0. Duke again escaped just barely, they will face Michigan State on Sunday in a must watch powerhouse showdown.

Purdue (3 seed)  managed to hold off Tennessee (2 seed)  late in overtime on Thursday as Tennessee rallied late and came back from an 18 point deficit to tie the game at the end of regulation. Carsen Edwards of Purdue was a key factor in the game leading the Boilermakers to victory with 29 points, 4 rebounds, and 3 assists. Overall, this was a great Sweet 16, we finally had a major upset after waiting so long for one to happen. Most of the games were very close and came down to the wire, but we are still looking for a buzzer beater.

Expect major battles in the Elite 8 and personally, I think Duke vs Michigan State is the must-watch game. Both teams are equally powerful and efficient in both offense and defense, and the matchup between Point Guard, Cassius Winston and Forward, Zion Williamson will be fantastic to see. Another must-see matchup is Purdue vs Virginia. The powerhouse offense of Purdue versus the elite defense of Virginia will make for an instant classic and a game to remember. I am very excited for the Elite 8 and can’t wait to see powerhouse teams collide and punch a ticket into the final four.