THE WIND-UP

The Lego Movie: a review

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Lego Movie: a review

According to Blitz Sales Software, Legos are the tenth best selling toy
of all time, with the company producing more than 320 billion bricks.
“It really gets in touch with kid’s imagination and their creative side and 
they can really express themselves any way they want. Kids just want 
to play all the time and build things and I think that really appeals to 
[them],” Luke Bingaman said when asked why he thinks Legos are so
popular.

According to Blitz Sales Software, Legos are the tenth best selling toy of all time, with the company producing more than 320 billion bricks. “It really gets in touch with kid’s imagination and their creative side and they can really express themselves any way they want. Kids just want to play all the time and build things and I think that really appeals to [them],” Luke Bingaman said when asked why he thinks Legos are so popular.

Photo by Michael Schwarzenberger

Photo by Michael Schwarzenberger

Photo by Michael Schwarzenberger

Liam Froberg, Staff Writer

In February 2014 The Lego Movie, written and directed by Chris Miller and Phil Lord, hit theaters. The movie, which looked like just more useless cash-grab family entertainment at first, went on to become one of the best-rated movies of the year, and according to Business Insider, it was the 15th highest grossing. With colorful visuals, interesting characters, fun and catchy songs, the movie is chock full of funny jokes and most importantly, it teaches numerous values to its young audience. For these reasons, I believe it to be the greatest kids movie of all time.

The story follows the life of your everyday, average, rule-following Lego guy named Emmet. He lives in a world ruled by Lord Business who enforces a monotonous, by-the-numbers lifestyle where everyone acts the same and always builds by the instructions. Through a series of unusual events, Emmet finds out that he is “The Special ”: the great master builder who is destined to bring an end to Lord Business’ reign of tyranny. Throughout the rest of the movie, Emmet travels across many extraordinary Lego worlds and meets many fascinating characters to aid him in his quest to overthrow Lord Business and make the world a place where everyone can free their imagination and build whatever they want.

The Lego Movie performs the incredible feat of teaching kids important values and actually getting them to listen. They do this by subtly slipping in messages amongst the dazzling animation and funny jokes. “[I dislike] how poorly kids movies are made nowadays. They’re focusing less on getting a message across and more about, ‘how can I get more kids to watch this?’ If they do try to get a message across it’s super obvious,” Luke Bingaman, sophomore, said. I think we can all agree with Luke, and most can agree that The Lego Movie is masterfully written, in a sense that there is subtlety hidden behind the loudness and flashiness of it all.

The core plot strongly promotes the idea of being yourself. It teaches kids to never conform to a situation that doesn’t feel right while also showings creativity and individuality in a positive light. The movie also heavily encourages teamwork. Even though Emmett is The Special, he has friends and teammates to help him every step of the way. In the nail-biting sections of the movie where it is unclear how the heroes will escape, they always succeed through creativity and teamwork.

By the end, the movie has a lesson for both kids and adults. It teaches us something that not everyone learns: that you don’t have to grow up. Childish wonder isn’t something that should be suppressed, it’s something that should be celebrated. I’d like to thank the creators of The Lego Movie for finally getting a kids movie right. To thank them for making a tremendously fun and funny movie that everyone, young and old can enjoy while, at the same time, teaching kids to love those around them and that you’re never too old to play with Legos.