March Madness: National Championship

Alex Jewell, Staff Writer

The tournament is over and what a tournament it was. Virginia is the new champion after  85-77 overtime win in the first-ever National Championship that went into overtime. After being the first ever top 1 seed to lose to a 16 seed this was the ultimate redemption story for Virginia. Texas Tech continued their remarkable defense and gave Virginia everything they could handle. But, Virginia began to pull away in the 2nd half and it seemed over for the Red Raiders. However, they went on big run to take them at 68 with less than 35 seconds to go with time running out.  

Virginia pushed it down the court and the point guard found De’Andre Hunter in the corner and he shot up a 3 and swished it with less than 12 seconds to go, to tie the game. Texas Tech had a few attempts to win the game but failed and so the game went into overtime. It was all Virginia in OT taking care of business and shredding Texas Tech’s defense and as such Virginia claimed the National Championship, it was the first one in their school’s history.

With the tournament coming to a close, I have to say that this was one of the best ones that I have seen and one of the best semifinal and championship games ever played. “At first I thought that this tournament would be boring, but as the rounds progressed I got more and more excited,” Sophomore Garrett Kiser said.

This tournament lived up to the hype and the entire college basketball in a whole was nothing but fantastic. Going into next season, it’s projected that Michigan State will take home the title for 2020. Only time will tell and already the hype has begun. I personally cannot wait to see what the 2019-2020 college basketball season has in store for us.