Farewell, St. Joe

Back to Article
Back to Article

Farewell, St. Joe

Will Conybeare, Staff Writer

According to website move.org, which helps people across the country find a mover, around 35 million Americans move each year.  In December of 2017, my family and I were 6 (and two four-leggers) of those 35 million, making the 750-mile trek from the New York City suburbs to Southwest Michigan.  To keep a very long story short, the transition was rough for all of us.  But, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

My year and a half as a Saint Joe Bear is coming to a close.  Needless to say, it was a wild ride. I have met more people than I ever thought I would.  I now have a core group of friends that I hang out with almost every day, and we get along as if we’ve known each other for our entire lives.  

Jordan Marble is one of those friends.  “It’s a small town so everybody knows about everyone,” Jordan said.  Coming from outside of New York City, this small town vibe definitely takes some getting used to.  But, like me, Jordan doesn’t regret the fact that he moved here. “If I got to do it all over again, I would move here because I’m glad I experienced this big change early on in life.  It just sets me up for the real world way sooner.”

Mrs. Amy Peterson assists students with their transition into the school system; she helped me a lot.  “I think the majority of new students acclimate well to SJHS and find their niche and their group,” said Mrs. Peterson.  “I would love for students to start a New Student Ambassador program and welcome, mentor, include new students regularly in activities, and have monthly lunch meetings.”  If you are interested in starting a new program like this, talk to Mrs. Peterson in the Guidance office.

I want to thank you, Saint Joe High School.  Though we’ve had some ups and downs, I’m pretty positive that if I were to live my life all over again, I would still move here.  This community will always have a special place in my heart as my home away from home, and it’s comforting to know that I will always be welcome here.