Memorial Day, don’t forget its meaning

Back to Article
Back to Article

Memorial Day, don’t forget its meaning

Norah Judge, Staff Writer

Memorial Day in St. Joe often features boat parties, the beach, and grilling out: a perfect kickoff to summer. But sometimes, people overlook the significant meaning of Memorial Day. It originally was celebrated to commemorate the fallen soldiers of the Civil War and has now expanded to celebrate all veterans who have passed.

One way our city shows its appreciation for this national holiday is by hosting an annual parade on the Friday before Memorial Day. Though many SJHS students don’t go because it’s during school, our marching band has the opportunity to march in the parade. “It feels very patriotic to march in the parade,” Evan Gregory, 10,  said. According to Evan, last year there was an attendance similar to the Blossomtime Parade. This year it will be on Friday, May 24 from 12:00-1:00.

People often spend their Memorial Day remembering veterans in their family who have passed. “I spend my memorial day by going to my grandparents, my grandma and my grandpa’s grave, and my uncle’s grave in Niles,” said Lucas White, 10. He also brings flowers to decorate their graves.

For those who don’t have veterans in their family, this holiday may not be as meaningful and instead may be viewed as just a Monday off or a kick-off to summer. However, this holiday was designated to remember those who had fought for America’s freedom and have now passed–too often, people forget.