New iPhones hit the 2019 market

Back to Article
Back to Article

New iPhones hit the 2019 market

Roberto Cuadra, Staff Writer

Apple released their new iPhones for the year on September 20. While the iPhone 11 looks similar to last year’s model, the new iPhones have camera upgrades along with other new features. Pricing is $699 for the iPhone 11, $999 for the iPhone 11 Pro, and $1099 for the iPhone 11 Max. After all of the Apple vs Samsung debate, what has changed this year?

From the Wind-Up survey, out of 197 people, 9.64% of students are planning on buying either the iPhone 11/Pro/Max. Some reasons to buy the phone range from their phone plan allowing them to trade, better camera and battery life, and people believe if there isn’t a home button, quality increases.

After speaking with Jonah Yardley, 12, he said he plans on purchasing one of the new iPhones because of the new camera and better battery. Compared to someone like Will Dodson, 10, who simply believes that Samsung is better than Apple.

The new iPhone 11 camera is vastly different from what people expected; it has wide and ultra-wide lenses. The ultra-wide lens is on the 11 Pro and 11 Pro Max. All a customer has to do is zoom out to take more immense photos.  This factor lets the user crop and zoom after the photo is captured. With the new night mode, the cameras can also brighten photos in the absence of surrounding light.

Another new feature is called Quicktake; it makes filming videos easier by letting you record videos without having to switch out of the ability to take photos. Video quality is 4K at a frame rate of 60 frames per second, which ties into time-lapse and slow-motion videos.

The new iPhone 11 Pro and iPhone 11 Pro Max have changed their color schemes as well. Midnight green, space gray, silver, and a new gold coat have been added to the pallet.

Apple has also released a new display called Super Retina XDR. It has the best pixel consistency of any Apple device. The iPhone 11 Pro/Max has better brightness than most TVs.  The most obvious new feature is the triple camera feature. Which is a triangular display of lenses.

Apple is using technology to combine all 3 lenses to improve the overall quality of your photo. Phil Schiller, the Senior VP of Marketing at Apple called it ”computational photography mad science.”

Compared to the 11, Apple has upgraded the front camera by adding a new sensor. The camera is also further expanded so you can fit more people in the frame on the selfie. Last but not least, the slow-mo feature has been added to the front camera compared to the past when you could not record that feature.

From taking a glance at everything, it is clear that the iPhone 11 tops the market. The new ultra-wide lens is perfect for taking photos in this day and age and the new LCD screen ties everything together so you can have the battery life you need. 

Add in the factor of the new iOS 13 update, these phones are killer. Just the price of the iPhone 11 is what puts the cherry on top, at a price of $699, the phone is the cheapest at launch since the iPhone 8.