War with Iran–unlikely

Back to Article
Back to Article

War with Iran–unlikely

Maddy Cleveland, Staff Writer

Only seven days into the new decade, Iran attacked two army bases, where United States soldiers were training in Iraq. This attack was a repercussion of the United States successful operation of killing a very powerful man in Iran, terrorist and head of the Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) Quds Force, Qasem Soleimani. Many people wonder if a war comes next. An attack on a U.S. base can be seen as a declaration of war, but Iran’s citizens seem to be on America’s side. 

The United States and Iran have had an unstable relationship for years. “We have been shooting at each other for decades,” Mr. Lyle Haydon, AP U.S. History teacher at SJHS, said. Complicated issues like the Iran Nuclear Deal or the invasion of the United States embassy in Tehran, Iran, has only worsened our relationship with the middle eastern country.

On January 8, 2019, a day after Iran fired missiles into American territories in Iraq, President Trump addressed the country and said, 

“The United States will immediately impose additional punishing economic sanctions on the Iranian regime.” The U.S. issued sanctions on Iran in 2018, and with more coming, economic pressure continues to build. 

Mr. Hayden explains that when sanctions are imposed, “Poverty is going to grow. They (civilians) are first going to blame the regime. The regime is going to make minor changes so they calm down. Then, when a lot doesn’t improve, they will blame the United States.”

He also says, “It is not unexpected that in the 1980s, especially in the Iran issue, the United States began implementing all these trade sanctions against a variety of different countries in the Middle East in an effort to get them to stop siding with the Russians. As poverty increased, so too did the increase of terrorists and anti-American sediment.”

During the Obama administration, the 2015 Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action, or better known as the “Iran Nuclear Deal”, was passed. Although Iran was given sanction relief and $50 billion in liquid assets, state-sponsored terrorists groups, like Hamas and Hezbollah, continued to gain power in Iran. 

During Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign, he criticized the deal and in May 2018, pulled out of the agreement. Although, he acts far harsher when engaging with Iran, the citizens seem more on the American side than ever. 

Although the economy in Iran has been hurting for a while, most Iranians aren’t pointing their fingers at the United States. According to Foreign Policy, instead of Iranians blaming Americans for the problems in Iran, citizens blame their own government’s corruption.

Although killing a very influential man in Iran, Qasem Soleimani, in no way improved the relationship between the United States and the people of Iran, the plane crash that the Iranian government claimed responsibility for is now dividing Iran in half. 

On January 8, the same day as the Iranian attack on Asad and Erbil bases in Iraq, two Iranian missiles accidentally struck Ukraine Flight 752, killing all 176 passengers. According to the New York Times, the Iran denied for three days that it they were not responsible for the crash, but eventually came out and admitted that it was their fault. According to BBC, the plane crash killed 82 Iranian citizens. The shooting down of the flight has sparked many protests. 

On January 12, an Iranian journalist, Masih Alinejad, posted a video on Twitter showing students at Tehran University trying to avoid walking on the U.S. and Israeli flag. The Iranian government  had placed flags on the ground in an attempt to get citizens to walk over them. When two regime agents walked on the flags past the protesting crowds, the people shouted that the regime is shameless and dishonorable.

Masih Alinejad also stated in the tweet that people were told to chant “Death To America” at the funeral for Soleimani. Instead he says that the Iranian citizens chanted “Death to Islamic Republic dictatorship.” The large number of protesters and disobeying citizens in Iran should put America at ease. No war will come if our only opposer is the Iranian government, a small percentage of the Iranian people.